Applications Accepted Through Jan. 24 for Leadership Pflugerville Program
PFLUGERVILLE, Texas—The Pflugerville Community Development Corporation (PCDC) today announced that applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. Jan. 24 for the community’s second annual Leadership Pflugerville program. The PCDC launched Leadership Pflugerville last year to recruit and develop leaders through education about the city’s history, government, economy, social issues, needs and opportunities, and exposure to the city’s systems, processes and opportunities for involvement.
This year’s Leadership Pflugerville class will be limited to 15 participants.
“Pflugerville residents are passionate, proud and highly educated, and we want to tap their expertise and involve them in our community even more,” PCDC Executive Director Floyd Akers said. “Leadership Pflugerville will help develop, involve and connect a diverse group of emerging community leaders and also educate them on our city processes and opportunities.”
Residents who are interested in leadership roles and are motivated to help strengthen and grow Pflugerville should apply. Applicants must reside within the Pflugerville city limits.
The cost of the program is $100 and is due at the first class. Classes will be held at the City of Pflugerville offices, 100 East Main St., Suite 500 on the first Wednesday of each month from 6 to 9 p.m. beginning Feb. 5 through June 4. A light dinner will be served and is included in the cost of the program.
During the six-class program, Leadership Pflugerville participants must attend the following:
- at least one Pflugerville City Council meeting
- at least one Pflugerville ISD Board of Directors meeting
- at least one Pflugerville Chamber of Commerce event
- at least one of the following: City of Pflugerville Planning and Zoning; Pflugerville Community Development Corporation or Travis County Commissioners.
The Leadership Pflugerville class schedule and topics are below:
1. How the City of Pflugerville works, including an overview of the geography of the city and City of Pflugerville short- and long-term goals. The class project, which includes selecting a PCDC Challenge Grant recipient, will also be introduced during this class. Speakers may include the Pflugerville Mayor, a Pflugerville City Council member and the Pflugerville City Manager.
2. Presentations by City of Pflugerville boards and commissions including their purposes, duties, time commitments and the impact these committees have on the community. Speakers will include representatives from various boards of directors and commissions.
3. Presentations by the PCDC, Pflugerville Chamber of Commerce, Pflugerville Downtown Association and Pflugerville Council of Neighborhood Associations.
4. Presentations by Pflugerville Police Department and fire (Travis County ESD,) including Citizens on Patrol.
5. Presentation by Pflugerville ISD and a discussion about the PCDC Challenge Grant projects, selection of a grant recipient, and the development of follow-up actions for the Challenge Grant program, if necessary. Graduation certificates will also be awarded during this class.
The Leadership Pflugerville application is available for download on www.pfdevelopment.com. Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to Leadership Pflugerville c/o Pflugerville Community Development Corporation, P.0. Box 1160, Pflugerville, Texas, 78660-1160, or in person at the PCDC offices at 203 W. Main St., suite E in Pflugerville.
About the Pflugerville Community Development Corporation
The Pflugerville Community Development Corporation promotes Pflugerville as a desirable place for new businesses to operate. The organization also supports existing businesses by helping to address their needs. PCDC can provide funding for use as an incentive to businesses to begin doing business in Pflugerville. PCDC funds, which are 4B money generated from a half- cent of the city’s sales tax revenue, can also be used to construct needed infrastructure such as roads, utilities and drainage projects. Located 16 miles northeast of Austin and just south of Round Rock, Pflugerville is well-situated in Central Texas. New state highways 45 and 130 and Interstate Highway 35 all offer direct access to other nearby cities and the region’s main airport. For more information, visit www.pfdevelopment.com.